I was told today that I should not complain about what is going wrong with being pregnant and essentially shut my mouth and be grateful because there are people who can't have babies, etc. The comment, all be it indirectly aimed at me, felt like a punch in the gut. Why don't I have the right to talk about what is bothering me? Should I be singing "Annie" songs and skipping down the street when I can hardly eat and am throwing up at all hours of the day, which is interferring with my life, my job, and my general well being? Should I be talking only about rainbows and sunshine when I have had a migraine for 8 weeks straight that has brought me to tears on more than one occassion? Don't I have a right???
Now I don't believe the occassional comment about feeling bad or my one or two posts about it equate me complaining all the time. This person made it sound like I was a very negative person who never has anything positive to say, which is funny, especially since this person does not know me very well at all.
I never, never, never said I was not grateful to be having a baby. I am very grateful...however, if you were getting sick 24/7 for the last 5 weeks, couldn't hardly eat anything, and had a splitting headache constantly, you would make a few comments about how crappy you are feeling too. Am I the enemy now? Didn't I go through months and months of hell and anxiety and wishful thinking to get here? Now that I'm here I should just shut my mouth and not say anything.
I just don't get it. I'm hurt. I'm floored. I just am flaberghasted. A saying comes to mind..."Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes." I can't say with certainty what anyone else is going through and nobody except me knows what I am going through. It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and judge and be very hateful...but it is very hard to be open, caring, and forgiving of your inaccurate assumptions.
A firstborn among us
7 years ago




1 comment:
Wow....I am so sorry you had to deal with that...hugs to you.
Post a Comment