I need another Labor Day Weekend to recover from Labor Day Weekend! I am exaggerating a little, it wasn't bad at all, just tiring. We started out leaving right after work and heading up to Manhattan to Purple Power Play on Poyntz. It was fun to eat dinner with my mom and grandma and to see the fireworks. My aunt, uncle and cousins came up late Friday night. We left early Saturday afternoon and headed on West to Great Bend and Hoisington. I love spending time in Hoisington. It always makes me giggle how everyone knows everyone, and who is so and so's child, and this person married someone. I sometimes wish I had grown up in a town like that. There is so much open space, and it has those little special things about it that only small towns do. I grew up in Topeka where you only saw goats and cows in petting zoos and the sunflowers were right next to the stuffed buffalo in the Natural History Museum. I went to high school at Topeka High with a class of 600 and a school of over 2000 kids. Unless people were in several classes or some extra curricular sport that you did, you really didn't get to know many people. I think it takes someone from 'the city' to appreciate the little nuances of a small town. I love it there.
On the doctor front, Friday before we left town we got the call we had been dreading. They still didn't like the results from the last test (the second of its kind we had to submit to) so we are being referred to an infertility specialist at KU Med in Kansas City. Our appointment is the end of September. The nurse that called says that we might be good candidates for a process called Intra Uterine Insemination or IUI for short. It basically is where they would take Jeff's stuff and put it inside of me through a small catheter right after ovulation is detected. The doctor has said they might put me on a prescription of Clomid if it came to that, which would make my body ovulate more than one egg to up our chances of success. For those of you who have never gone through this, with infertility testing you have no humility, privacy, or pride left. After the thirtieth person has inspected down there, or shoved a needle where you never thought it should be, or asked you about your 'bedroom' life, you learn to be pretty non-chalant about the subject. I guess I am just a little old fashioned but I never envisioned getting pregnant via tube. But on the flip side, beggars can't be choosers. I am reading a book which really opened my eyes to how prevalent infertility is...1 in 6 couples struggles with infertility in some way. Isn't that crazy?? I would have never guessed it was that high!
The thing that is so hard to take right now, is the people asking how this could be since we are so young, or I'm so sorry this is happening this early in your marriage. My thinking is, Thank God it is happening while we are young and this early in our marriage so we can fix it while there is still a chance!! Don't get me wrong, it is not like we are telling everyone, just family and close friends. So it hopefully will be quiet on the doctor front until the end of September.
Well, I hope everyone had a restful and relaxed Labor Day and arrived safely to and from their destinations. Have a happy four day week!
A firstborn among us
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment