So let me tell you about my appointment last night...Good GOSH! So the doctors office called and told me to go to the radiology department at 3:30. Okay, no problem. So we walk into Stormont Vail Hospital at 3:25. Plenty of time! So I get up to registration and they can't find my name in the computer. Awesome. So the poor registrar calls my doctor and gets the answering service. She calls up to Radiology and they have no record of me. Finally she gets a hold of my doctor's on call nurse. She tells me I am actually supposed to be over at Radiology and Nuclear Medicine two blocks to the east of the hospital. Great, so I am now twenty five minutes late to an appointment.
So I get over there and they get us right in. They take me into this room and I am given a paper thin bathrobe. They put me up on this table that looks like a conveyor belt (and really kind of was one!) and had me lay down. They didn't have the normal 'stirrups', no, no, no...they had metal poles that you had to brace your feet on so your knees were about chest level. Then the doctor put in the speculum. Okay so far so good. Then they put two huge q-tips in with Betadine on them. Next, the fun part begins. They inserted a catheter with two syringes off of it. One had a syringe full of clear liquid that would show up under the X-Rays. The other was full of air and inflated a balloon in my uterus to keep the liquid from coming out. Can I tell you that a man most certainly invented this procedure? Then if that wasn't painful enough, the doctor then slides you down the conveyor belt so that this camera is about six inches above your pelvis. They take about four pictures directly above you and then ask you to lift your hips up and lean right and hold it so they can take another picture and then to the left. Then the doctor asked me to lift my pelvis up at an angle so they could get a different angle. I have never experienced pain like this in my life, and I have had a kidney infection before!! I still am cramping now and it is almost 24 hours later. The frustrating part is that throughout all of that, all he could tell me is that I have what they call an anti-flexed uterus, which means instead of pointing down and slightly front like most people, mine is pointing straight out my pelvis and folded on top of itself. It apparently (so I am told) will correct itself if/when I get pregnant at about 10-14 weeks. I thought that was interesting. Of course nothing about my body could be normal!
The good news is that the doctor says a lot of people get pregnant the next month because the fluid tends to clear out your fallopian tubes so that in case there were any mild blockages in there, they come out. Who knows...all I know is that these tests seem a little skewed! Why do all of mine involve pain and inserting large/painful objects into a small place, and Jeff's all involve the outside of his body and no pain whatsoever! When we were done last night I asked him what he thought of the whole deal and he said he thought he was going to throw up. HE was going to throw up...I told him I didn't feel too bad for him :) Next appointment: October 30 in KC.
A firstborn among us
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment