Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tertia Book Shower


Since I have to work tomorrow and won't be able to post until afterwards, I decided to post my response to the Tertia Book Shower. If you aren't familiar, Tertia is a woman who wrote a blog and book both called , "So Close." She's a very funny, inspirational, and honest lady. While reading her book I laughed, I cried, I was angry (at things that happened to her), the whole nine yards. If you haven't had a chance to read it, you really should. You can check out her book here or her blog here.


Mel at Stirrup-Queens had the brilliant idea to do a book shower for Tertia's book and posted some questions for us who had read the book to ponder and then post our thoughts. Here is the question I have chosen to respond to:

Tertia points out that she "looks for good signs everywhere. Where I can't find them, I make them up." What are some of the good signs you've made up in life?


I could write a novel about this, but I will try to limit my response. I look for signs everywhere that point to something good to happen. Sometimes they might be legitimate, and sometimes they are a little stretched. When we go for treatments if we sit in a different chair in the waiting room, I see it as a good sign because it is a change, since the chair I sat in last month didn't lead to pregnancy. If we are in a different room at the clinic to have our procedures done, it is a good sign. If the numbers of Jeff's SA before IUI is higher than last time it is a good sign. If we have a numerous amount of green lights on the way to the doctors office, it is a good sign.


The most depressing "good sign" was last month when we underwent out fourth IUI. I was on progesterone suppositories and almost exactly a week after our IUI which also happened to be on my birthday, I had some spotting. Of course my mind instantly went to implantation bleeding. I thought this has to be some karmic sign that since it's my birthday things will work out and this will be our chance. What I failed to take into account is that progesterone suppositories can really irritate your cervix which can cause spotting as well. Oops.


I have a tendency to be a realist. I am not overly positive or overly cheerleader-ish. I know from experience that life really can suck sometimes and unfair things happen to good people. My outlook on infertility is no different. It struck me that Tertia had so many things happen along the way that just seemed cruel and unfair and still she was surprisingly optimistic. She fell down, cried, and then picked herself up and moved on. There was no undertone of negativity or that she was feeling sorry for herself. That stayed with me, and continues to stay with me long after I finished reading the book. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in what isn't going right that we forget to look at all the things that are. One of my blogging friends reminded me of that last week when I was feeling low and commented that the past year had been for nothing. She said that everything we have been through has helped our situation and others in our situation, and that we may not have a baby, but we certainly weren't back at square one either. For that nugget of advice, I will forever be thankful. Thank you, you know who you are :)


So now that you have struggled through reading my ramblings, I have two things for you...Number one, here is my question for other bloggers and book shower goers...


Tertia talks in her book about doing all the things between treatments that you can't while you are undergo procedures...what are the things you indulge in between cycles? What are the things you miss the most?


Second, please head over to Mel's site to link to other bloggers participating in the book shower and see what they had to say.


Thanks a bunch for reading what I had to say and please leave a comment if you would like!

9 comments:

Adi said...

Ah, that glass of wine :) but I guess that's going to be a common factor among us! So I will add to it: doing really tough time in the gym with lots of jumping up and down; having long, hot baths (although I think that's not really not allowed, just... you know, for jinx reasons); and finally having a BIG STRONG coffee when I feel like it ;) .

loribeth said...

I never was able to cut out tea altogether while cycling, but I did try to cut back. Fortunately, I'm not much of a drinker, so I didn't miss alcohol too much! Of course, millions of women drink & get pregnant unknowingly & their babies are fine... doesn't seem fair, does it?

Tertia said...

I still look for signs!

Thanks for participating in my book shower, most appreciated x

Jamie said...

I was just the same - I saw a sign everywhere. I remember listening to 'No One' by Alicia Keys on the way to the u/s for my second pregnancy. I thought she was singing to me - "You and me together, through the days and nights, I don't worry 'cause everything's gonna be all right." As it turned out, nothing was all right after all.

I miss margaritas . . .

Ms. Perky said...

It's funny; I never look for signs. "Signs" drive me crazy. That kind of magical thinking has never worked for me, but I *know* why it works for other people and I encourage it. But for me? It has never given me any solace, so I've always avoided it. Heh.

As for indulgences - unlike Tertia, I nearly never took breaks between cycles (While I believe she has sound advice to take breaks - that does NOT work for me. I turn into a raving lunatic when I'm not doing anything active). So there were few times when I wasn't actively moving into a cycle. Still - there's always that time when you've got your period when you could drink like a fish if you wanted to ... I never got around to it. The thing I would do is take Aleve (or other NSAIDs) with wild abandon.

I know, not too indulgent, is it?

I'm a wild child, aren't I? ;)

(I'm glad it helped)

millie said...

Well I tried cutting things out but that never helped. Then I rationalized a lot by doing some math and figuring that since there isn't a connection between an embryo and the woman until 17 dpo I didn't have to give much up.

I found breaks in general to be very very helpful for my sanity.

I did have to really and truly give up alcohol for a long while when I was dealing with an ectopic pregnancy. That seemed like the proverbial salt in the wound.

Andie said...

Aaahh, the wine!! I am gluten-free at the moment, and although I never ate much bread, I reaallly miss real organic sourdough toast on the weekends. Sigh.

I agree with Loribeth - it's not fair that it's so easy for the 'fertile' world.

Like you I also see signs when it's my birthday, it's christmas, everything is different this time...sigh again.

Anonymous said...

Completely off topic, but found your blog through Tertia's book shower posting on Stirrup Queens, and just had to share that I recently started at RRC too(although I see Dr. Bra.bec, not Dr. Lyl.es). I've been really happy with RRC thus far. They seem willing to run as many tests as possible to get to the source of the problem, and I'm hopeful they will manage our treatment well. Hope you get a good result there!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your point about Tertia's optimism. That really struck me as well. Even in the moments where she was experiencing so much pain, and anger, and sadness, she remained determined and optimistic. I am not an optimist at all, but reading those sections made me want to be.

I tend to drink, have coffee, everything at pretty much all times. (haven't done any treatments yet, so perhaps that's why) but I'm also not a believer in depriving myself during what is a difficult journey.