Thursday, April 2, 2009

Opinions Needed!

I want to start out this post by saying a big big big thank you to all of you who have left so many nice, thoughtful, and heartwarming comments on my blog. I appreciate you all so much that I could never express it in words.

I had a weird situation arise today. Jeff called me from work this morning to ask who we know who goes to this certain church in Topeka. I had no clue, but told him I would ask around work, why? He goes on to tell me that a woman that he works with asked if he and his wife were trying to have a baby, and he answered, "Yes, why?" She told him that someone from her church had asked the congregation that he and I specifically by name be prayed for in hopes that we have a baby soon. Huh, weird. Again I told him that I didn't know, but I would ask. The other third grade teacher walked in shortly after, so I asked her who attended this certain church. She informs me that it is our principal. Our principal, whom I told confidentially what we were going through, and why I was having to miss school. Now 250 members of his ,not to mention Jeff's work colleagues, and a couple parents of students, now know what we are going through. Like I said before I really do appreciate the thoughts and prayers...I just don't know how I feel about being prayed for out loud by first and last name in my town where I live where lots of people know me and my husband. Why couldn't he have said these people I know, or a colleague, or even have written it on paper or prayed silently for us?

How would you feel? Would you say something, or just let it go? Would it seem ungrateful if you did say something? It bothers me in the sense that it was a confidential, behind closed doors, conversation that is now on display for a large chunk of people. I feel like my life is kind of public knowledge now...just a very unsettling feeling. So weigh in my blogging friends...what would you do?

4 comments:

Peaches said...

Tough place to be in...I guess I am overwhelmed at the thought of our principal being in church and asking for prayer on our behalf--that would NOT happen! For me, I guess since it has already happened, and it is "out" there, it can't be brought back "in", as much as you would prefer it to be...Saying anything to her now would probably not be beneficial. Sorry that it was outed in such a manner and at your dh's work :(
Hang in there during your 2ww!!

Flower said...

I think I would say something...I would not be rude...I would just say that you didn't want the whole world to know what you were going through and that a name could have been left off...you still can be on the prayer list...but people don't have to announce what you are going through. Just like...with me...I would be very upset if I am in church and I hear...okay..."flower is having trouble ttc and she is going through ivf...let's pray for her..." I would be beyond upset...cuz all they have to say is ...we have someone on our prayer list that is ttc...please pray for this family or flower and her family is going through some hard times...please keep her in your prayers....

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I was very open about our situation so it is a bit different. If I was in the same boat as you though I would probably say something tactfully. Maybe something like "I just wanted to talk to you a little bit more about our fertility issue. While Jeff and I sincerely appreciate all the prayers being sent our way now I did want that conversation we had to be kept in confidence. We're not real comfortable with a lot of people knowing about our situation and I felt it the best thing to let you know because of time off needed. Jeff and I would really like it if you could just keep that between us from here on out."

AnneR said...

H, I would say something to your principal because regardless of why you told her, one of those reasons was to let her know why you were/are missing work, right? I'm sure you appreciate the prayers (most of us do), but to be put forth into public by name is more gossipy and voyeuristic. Sorry to bring that up again. Perhaps a quick, sincere conversation with the principal? In order to get her to correct her misstep?