Friday, April 17, 2009

Update...


This picture is from our trip to Arizona almost a year ago to the day. We were talking the other day, and I think we are either going to go back there sometime this summer, or go visit Jeff's grandma in California. Either place would be a wonderful, yet relatively inexpensive vacation since we have a free place to stay at both locations.
Well obviously our beta was negative. It sucks. That's all I have to say about that.


We went in to talk to the doctor yesterday and discuss what direction we take from here...


Option 1: We do two more IUI's with Jeff's sperm, which the doctor said is pretty pointless given our low motility and low morphology.


Option 2: We do IUI's with donor sperm at $500-700/cycle which has around a 15% success rate with our scenario and could take multiple tries. Positive: it costs considerably less than IVF. Negative: We want to try for a baby that is biologically both of ours. Not saying this isn't a good option, just not the option for us right now.


Option 3: IVF w/ ICSI at ~$12, 500/fresh cycle and ~$2,500/ frozen cycle with a 70% + success rate with our case. Our clinic also does the shared risk program where if you enroll you pay more in the beginning, but if 3 cycles don't work you get back at least 70% of your initial payment.


We both agree IVF would be our best bet. It would mean a baby that is both Jeff and I's, which we both would prefer, it has a much higher success rate, and our doctor is one of the best IVF doctors in the nation. The obvious down side is the cost, which we don't know the solution to yet. Anyone have any good suggestions? Jeff just found out he has a life insurance policy his parents started for him that we could take a portion from, but I'm just not sure what all that entails as far as taxes, penalties, etc. Anyone have any advice for starting IVF?


In none IF news, I had the school day from hell the other day...I had a student wet themselves, a student drink from the toilet, a student go crazy and run around the room...the bad part is they were all the same student...they of course rilled up the other kiddos and so my room was chaos...this was also the day of the negative beta so I wasn't in the best of moods either...Yesterday was much better (well at least the half day I was there) so hopefully it will carry over to today.


I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!

2 comments:

Flower said...

Welcome to the IVF world((hugs)) It is costing us about 15,000. We pulled 5,000 from our savings and got 10,000 from a capital one health loan(we went through our IVF clinic). Over the years, we saved almost 15,000 for IVF, but because the economy is so unstable, we decided to just take a little from the savings and get a loan over 3 years..which i will pay off in about 2 years.

cady said...

do you guys have flexible spending account options at work, where they take money out of your checks pre-tax and load them onto a credit card? that's how we paid for the bulk of our ivf.