Friday, July 11, 2008

Almost not Mrs. Olson


So I was thinking today, if God had not slapped some sense into me, yesterday would have been my fourth wedding anniversary. I know some jaws just dropped. For those of you who are not privy to all of the bad choices I have made in my life, I was engaged before Jeff. I was young (20), and silly, and thought that I was supposed to marry the first boy I dated for more than a month. Yeah, about that...

Anyway, he was a very nice guy, and we actually dated for five years before I finally had to break it off. I just wasn't the person I was right out of high school when we started dating. I still think fondly of him, and don't regret anything about our relationship, but as my grandma so eloquently puts it, "He is a good person, but wouldn't have been a good husband for you." Truthfully, I am so glad that I listened to my heart and my brain and did one of the hardest things ever--break his heart. Even though I felt like the worst person in the world at the time, I knew it wouldn't have been fair to keep his hopes up. And, I would have missed out on meeting the best thing that ever happened to me, Jeffers. I love Jeff more than life itself, and I wouldn't change a thing about our marriage. So Thank you God for stepping in and putting things the way they were supposed to be. It's funny how life doesn't turn out the way you think it will, but a lot of the time it turns out better :)

No comments: