
Let me preface this by saying that I should have listened to my mom. When we moved into our town home, she told me that the locks on our front and patio doors were going to be trouble. They open from the inside even when they are locked, so you can very easily lock yourself out...as I found out today. It started out as a short innocent trip right outside the front door to cut some of the beautiful Lilly's that were blooming outside to put in a vase. Well, I went outside in my p.j.s, no shoes, hadn't combed my hair yet, hadn't brushed my teeth yet, and no cell phone, since I thought I was just running outside and coming back in. Well, to make a long story short, I cut the flowers and went to come back in and found the front door locked. Trying not to panic, I thought I would go around the house to check the back door. The door knob wasn't locked but the deadbolt was. Great. Okay, so I will check the windows. Surly one will be cracked enough for me to push open. Not so much. By now I was starting to panic. I went to our neighbors house next door, but no answer. I tried the neighbors on the other side. Again, no answer. I decided I would just keep knocking and somebody would come to the door. Four doors later I met Betty and her husband, a retired couple who happened to be home. She very graciously invited me in and offered the use of her cell phone. I got ahold of my parents who came over. Jeff's cell phone had gone dead earlier in the day, so I couldn't reach him. He was also in Manhattan at work, so he wouldn't have been able to help much anyway. My parents came over and helped me check over the house again for any entry point before calling a locksmith. An hour and a half and $45 later, I am now back inside with my flowers.
No comments:
Post a Comment