
So I will be the first to admit that when it comes to cooking, I am not the greatest. Give me a book and I will zip through it in a matter of hours, I can type quality papers with the best of them, you need something organized, then I am your gal. If you want a five star dinner...ask my husband. We were laughing today over what a backwards marriage we have. I was upstairs with my cordless power screwdriver putting up shelves in the spare bedroom while my husband was doing laundry and cooking us lunch. Now some will say that there is nothing wrong with that, and I agree. We each have our strengths and weaknesses, Jeff and I just happen to have non-stereotypical strengths and weaknesses. I would be much more happy playing with power tools and fixing things around the house, than I would be in the kitchen.
I know that comes from having a tomboy mother. When I was younger my mom would come up with summer projects for us to do around the house. One summer we replaced the plumbing in the entire house, another we re-sided our house, once we put in a six foot privacy fence in around our backyard, once we installed insulation in our attic. I learned to sheet rock a room, strip and re-varnish furniture, till up a yard, and install a ceiling fan all from my mother. I love doing things around the house like that.
Jeff on the other hand doesn't dislike doing things like that, he would just much rather be coming up with a new concoction in the kitchen, experimenting with some new food or spice he read about in a book or saw on Iron Chef America. He is so amazing when it comes to cooking. He can slice things ridiculously thin, or he can know exactly what spice to throw in a food just by smelling it. I can burn mac and cheese.
I am beginning to appreciate my husband more and more every day we are married, because not only is he an amazing cook, but he understands me and lets me take off and run when I think about some other thing I want to do to our house, like installing shelves. We have found an incredible balance between us, and we let each other grow and experiment and don't try and limit the other one. I know we have something that a lot of people don't have, and I think a big part of that is that I am truly married to my best friend. I cannot imagine wanting to share my new hair brain idea with anyone but Jeff. I am just waiting for the day that he takes over for Bobby Flay on Food Network...Throw down with Jeff Olson...has a nice ring to it!




No comments:
Post a Comment