Saturday, August 16, 2008

Is It May Yet?

Wow, what a crazy, exhausting week! Sorry I have been slacking and it has been an entire week since I last posted! Monday started off with a meeting at one of the high schools in Topeka for every staff member of every elementary school in the district, and no I don't just mean classroom teachers were there, I mean everyone from the Principle to the Janitor was there. It was basically pointless. It was billed as a "motivation rally" but really it was just a guy talking for thirty minutes and then another guy working with kids. Interesting and entertaining, yes, motivating, umm...not so much. Monday afternoon and all of Tuesday was left to continue working in our classrooms, and Monday night was our parent sneak peek night where they can come in and meet the teachers and look at the rooms. I had six parents out of twenty show. Awesome.
Tuesday was our appointment with Dr. Teply, or as I have dubbed him, 'the baby whisperer'. He ran some tests and collectively between Jeff and I we have three more we have to submit to during the next month. He sounds optimistic, but if nothing happens in the next three to four months with the help of some prescriptions, then we he will set us up with an infertility specialist in KC. More to come, as we find out.
My kids came back on Wednesday. I have twenty kiddos this year, which is only three more than last year, but it feels like I have about ten more. The make-up of my class this year consists of: 8 English Second Language, 3 IEP'd (2 Behavior), 1 who's parent was killed in a drive by shooting last year, 1 foster child, and 1 abandoned child. To say I am emotionally, mentally and physically exhausted would be mild. I came home all three nights and feel asleep on the couch by 5:30. Jeff has been great, and very understanding. I love my kids, but this year is going to be challenging. One of my students is not familiar with having boundaries. He doesn't stay in his seat, he doesn't listen to instructions, he will come up to ask me questions while I am doing whole class instruction. He is all over the place and it is taking all of my time and patience to keep up with him. Another one of my kiddos got mad at me at the end of the day yesterday for telling him to be quite, so he went over to my book shelf and turned two tubs of books over. Another colored on one of my cushions at the writing center because I paired him with someone he didn't like. As I said in the title...Is it May Yet??

No comments: