So last night was one made for a movie...Jeff and I were traveling on I-70 when Riley county went under a tornado warning. We were calling back and forth to my uncle who lives in Keats, which is just on the west side of Manhattan. We were going to try and make it because the tornado was still at Chapman which is on the other side of Abilene, but Chris said to get off I-70 because it was headed straight down I-70. We took the Wamego exit and headed down Highway 99 to Highway 24. When we hit Wamego, Chris called us again and told us to stop at the first open business we found because the tornado had just hit Fort Riley. We can see the northern part of Fort Riley from our apartment. Okay, I was scared.
We stopped at a Shop Quik/Subway on Highway 24 and went inside. Luckily they had the Manhattan radio station on. When the take cover was announced for Pottawatomie county (where we were) we had to go back to the beer coolers because they were the most safe in the building. Jeff (I love him!) went out to the Jeep and grabbed a bath towel to wrap in because 1) we were soaked from running in the rain and 2) I only had a tank top, jeans and flip flops on. So we spent close to forty five minutes in the beer cooler listening to what areas of Manhattan the tornado hit. I couldn't get a hold of my grandma who lives right on the other side of Bluemont hill and they said the tornado went up over bluemont hill. Then we heard that it had hit campus. Our friends live on Bertrand two blocks from campus. Then we had heard that Seth Child was beaten up badly, and Jeff's aunt lives just to the east of Seth Child, and our apartment is just to the west of Seth Child. The scene I was imagining in my head could have rivaled the movie Twister. I was standing in a beer cooler clutching my bath towel trying not to cry for the hundredth time.
The scariest part was that the tornado literally, and I am not exaggerating came within feet of Jeff's aunt's front door. If I was a non-believer I would be now because while the tornado was headed straight for her house, she was in the basement doing Hail Mary's. I believe with all my heart that God spared Sally's house. It is amazing sometimes what small miracles God grants through the power of prayer. I just want to Thank God that all our friends and family are okay.




No comments:
Post a Comment