Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Octomom


Okay, I know everyone is sick of hearing about this woman...but I am sick of everyone and their mom suddenly becoming an expert about infertility and IVF and choosing to talk about it since this woman had eight babies!!!!!! Oprah, Dr. Phil, the 6 o'clock news, you can't get away from the crap they keep spewing everywhere about this! It's driving me nuts...at school I have walked in on at least four different conversations this week about it, and of course everybody has some opinion to throw in about how selfish, unethical, blah, blah, blah this is. Do I agree with this woman having six embryos transferred? Absolutely not! Not only is that crazy to do to your body, but it's unhealthy for the babies. But that does not mean that every person who is undergoing infertility treatments wants a litter of children!!! I wish people could make the distinction between the two.


Ugh, I have been trying to get across to people I know that infertility isn't something you can try and overcome, like having cancer, or being in an accident and going through rehab. I personally don't think any amount of mental will power is going to spontaneously cause my body to reproduce. If it were a simple thing like will power, I would have been pregnant a long time ago and many times over. Hate to break it to you, but I don't think that my mental state has much to do with procreation. Some of my friends and co-workers try to say these nice, uplifting things, like, "Mind over matter," or, "Miracles happen to those who believe." While I appreciate the sentiments, it kind of makes me want to scream. Nice in small doses, but after hearing it a thousand times over, starts to feel like Chinese water torture. Infertility sucks, and I realize that people who have never been through it don't really know what to say. It just gets tiring hearing all these "quick fix" ideas from people who really don't have a clue.


Okay, enough venting. I feel I should say at this point that I am not speaking of anyone who is a reader of my blog, so no one take anything I have said personally, please.


On a quick side note, is it bad that I was too lazy to shave my legs so I wore a long skirt and tall boots that met my skirt?? You know, some days you just don't feel like it...I should probably do that before Valentine's day, huh...

No comments: