Sunday, March 15, 2009

A couple questions

I have a couple questions out there for my blogging friends...

1) My RE has put me on Letrozole. Has anyone had any success with this medication (follicles, lining, etc)? I googled the crap out of it, but it seems pretty fifty fifty whether or not it works better than Clomid. When I was on Clomid I only ever produced one mature follicle. The plus I found is that it leaves your body rather quickly, instead of Clomid that can stick around for up to a year.

2) Has anyone, or anyone you've heard of, had success with IUIs with male factor? Our RE sounded indifferent at our consult, and our first RE was a ridiculous failure, and didn't have any answers for any of my questions, and most of the blogs I have read about are female factor...just wondering what our odds were...Our diagnosis is 1% morphology, normal motility, low volume.

3) I've been having sharp ovary pains the last couple days. I have been off Clomid since January and am on CD 24 of this cycle. Is this something I should be worried about, or is this pretty normal? This is the first month I've ever experienced this kind of pain. It's sharp and is on and off throughout the day.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer! Feel free to comment on here, or you can email me (haleymarieolson@gmail.com). I like to hear firsthand from the others in the trenches with us...the doctors and clinical research make it sound like we are science experiments! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

6 comments:

Flower said...

Hi there!

I took Letrozole, I think twice. I hated it. With all the birth defects and forms I had to sign to take it...I don't think it is worth the risk. (sorry) It made me ovulate so late in my cycle. That was the worst experience ever. I started taking tamoxifen and it was better. I didn't get pregnant with Letrozole or Clomid...I did get pregnant with Tamoxifen, but ended as an ectopic pregnancy...I didn't have any success with IUIs either....but I have heard wonderful things with Letrozole and IUIs...just wasn't my case. I am praying that you have a wonderful response.

Barefoot said...

Hello!

We never did IUIs, so can't comment on meds, but I did want to chime in re: male factor, which is our Big Issue (as far as we know). We've got 2% morphology, and our RE gave us a 4-5% chance per cycle of achieving pregnancy via IUI. We decided for this reason (and because our insurance coverage would allow it) to skip straight to IVF.

Carrie said...

My clinic seems to use Clomid first but if there are mucus issues, they switch to the Letrozole.

I am with Barefoot on the IUI situation. I have always heard with sever male factor that IVF was the best option. I would go to the stirrup queen's blog round up and look at all the male factor blogs- there are a ton. There is a link to her "completely anal list of blogs" on my blog.

I wouldn't worry about the pains unless they don't go away after a couple days.

Hope that helps!

HUGS,
Carrie

Anonymous said...

We have 1% morphology as well. We did 4 Clomid/IUIs with a local doctor but chose to quit as my gut feeling was that it wouldn't work.

The RE at the IVF clinic we're going to now told us that with 1% we didn't just need IVF, we need ICSI. Of course the clinic does make more money when ICSI is done so it should possibly be taken with a grain of salt. Although we are still going to do ICSI.

Anonymous said...

I don't have answers to any of those questions, for as much as we have in common, every situation/circumstance/protocol is different. But I am good for help or prayers or talking up a storm - so those I can provide, just let me know!

oklaln86 said...

I'm on Letrozole as well. I was on clomid years ago and all I can really remember was the side effects (and never getting pg.) How many mg are you starting out with?