Thursday, January 29, 2009

Consult Update

Our consultation with Dr. Lyles is set up for February 17 which is great for me since we don't have kiddos that day so I don't have to worry about substitute plans.

His nurse Carol was so super nice! She was very patient and informative, and didn't act like any of my questions were irrelevant or stupid. For your entertainment, here's how part of the conversation went...

Carol: Did they check your ________?

Me: Not that I'm aware of.

Carol: Hmm. That's surprising. Okay, so when they did ________ did they do _______?

Me: No.

Carol: Okay. That's odd.

This probably went on three to four times where she asked me about something, and either I had no idea what she was talking about, or they never even mentioned it to me at KU Med. Shocking, I know.

So when we get there on the 17th, Jeff gets to undergo his 7th (yes 7th) SA, which I know he is totally excited about, and I have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled and blood work. It kind of sucks to have to do that all in one day, but you know what, at least they care enough to do all of this to see for themselves what is going on. KU Med didn't even realize that it was male factor infertility the first time we went in to see them, due to the fact that the doctor didn't even look at our chart until we were sitting across from her. Dr. Lyles office wants our charts ASAP so they can look over them before our meeting. Again, shocking what a GOOD doctor wants to do, isn't it?

Have I mentioned how excited I am about our choice to switch?!? I feel with Dr. Lyles we might actually have success! What a crazy notion!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It often seems like doctors are more prone to being idiots in medical fields that aren't 100% understood (infertility, cancer, etc.). What I would appreciate instead is a doctor that admits his/her limitations and that they don't (and no one does) know all the whys of infertility. My doctor has said that to me and I did appreciate it. It sounds like your new doctor is taking things a little more seriously and is trying his/her best to gather all of the correct information about you and J (not to mention, doc seems like he/she is on top of things!).