Monday, January 12, 2009

Doctors must not have emotions

Why Why Why don't doctors use their brains sometimes???

We went to have our third IUI this morning. We walk into the office and sign in and then go sit down where I have the privilege of sitting next to a very pregnant woman and on the other side of the room sat another pregnant woman and a couple with a newborn baby. Why would you ever do that to women that are trying desperately to have a baby? Being in Wal-Mart on a bad day can send me out in tears so please, please shove in my face the fact that I can't have a baby in the one place that is supposed to be my refuge...the one place where you can almost make yourself believe that you are among friends, among people going through the same things you are...It felt like a dagger through my heart.

To top that off Jeff went in to do his part and as we are leaving for our hour intermission before they have us come back to do that actual IUI the receptionist calls after us, "Oh, by the way, we need $480 today before you leave." Excuse me?? Now don't get me wrong. I consider myself to be a well educated woman. I was in business school for some time and I took economics. I know you pay for services rendered, and I know that most clinics have you pay up front. However, with KU Med, nothing has been normal about our treatment, and no one ever sat us down and said okay you need to pay for this at the time we do the IUI. This was not our first or even our second IUI. This was our third and this is the first time we are finding out that we were supposed to be paying up front.

They of course directed us to billing where the woman was oh so pleasant (if you couldn't tell that was my none too subtle sarcasm). She informed me that I should have known this because it came in my new patient packet they sent me. Okay, those of you who have been in my shoes know how thick the new patient packets can be, not to mention overwhelming. I am new to this whole thing and some of the lingo in their can be confusing. Every other time I have ever been at the doctors they have had me pay my co-pay up front and then they bill my insurance. What the insurance doesn't cover they then send the bill for. We already made payments on our first IUI and we have yet to get a bill for our second.

The paying part is not that big of a deal, I mean it sucks to find out you have to pay $500 when you aren't expecting it, but we will make due. The big deal is that every time we have left I always stop by the receptionist and ask "Are we good? Do we need to do anything else?" And as usual in her attitude like I am wasting her time, says, "No, Thanks." If we owed something we gave them ample opportunity to tell us. Then they turn around and treat us like we are thieves trying to get away with this huge scam of getting health care for free.

Also, the other doesn't make sense part is that they did a Day 21 blood work up on me and found out I have low progesterone. Today they told me when to start taking my progesterone, but didn't say anything about doing blood work this month. Don't we want to know if I ovulated this month? Don't we want to know if the progesterone is working? I hate this!! I am supposed to be relaxing and thinking happy thoughts about babies and unicorns and what not and all I can do is worry that my doctors are f-ing up my treatment and my chances.

Did I mention how happy I am we are not going back to KU MED???

No comments: